Sunday, July 16, 2017

Challenging Challenges!

I make packs of cards to give as gifts at Christmas, wedding showers, and farewell parties. Usually, they include an assortment of all occasion and holiday cards. So… I make holiday cards year round. I started my blog so that, while working on these card packs, I could enter challenges and possibly win some stamps and misc. However, I have loved that being involved in the challenges has encouraged me to try some new things… and, in many cases, step out of my comfort zone. This posting includes a few cards entered in two challenges that have really stretched me.

The first is s Distressed card. It is my final entry into Simon Say’s Monday challenge. Whew! Didn’t know if I could make five of them… but I did. Some were not the typical “distressed look” that is popular now but I hope they will work. This card will go into my card gift packs to cover fall birthdays. (PS I used the old "Josephs Coat" technique which made a strong reflection when I took the photo. Sorry 'bout that. And, I should have made this card a few weeks ago when AAA Cards was having their "Resist" challenge. Silly me!) 
Entered into: 
Simon Says Monday Challenge- Distress It                  
     (simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge)

The other style that is always a challenge for me is CAS. I’ve made more CAS cards in the last few months than I have in the twenty years that I’ve been stamping! I’m thankful for Pinterest and the two challenge sites- AAA Cards and CAS-ual Friday that have provided such inspiration and encouragement.
When I make Halloween cards, I prefer cute over gory. So, this bright little gem, which will go into my card gift packs, has a hand written inside greeting, “Happy Halloween to Mew!” The images are both wood mounts from my early days of stamping. The black cat is Eureka and the jack-o-lantern balloon is Azadi Earles.
 
Entered into: 
AAA Card Challenges- #94 A Collaboration               
   (aaacards.blogspot.com/)
Less is More Challenge- Colored Card Base             
    (simplylessismoore.blogspot.com)

Another fall card. This one is for a challenge that required plaid (I made this plaid by sponging orange ink over a striped stencil, then using a ruler and orange Tombow marker to draw the lines. Forgot how simple it was to 
make plaid backgrounds. Will have to do it more often!).
Entered into: 
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge- Use Plaid                          
     (simonsaysstampblog.com/wednesdaychallenge)
Cute Card Thursday- Ribbons & Bows                          
     (cutecardthursday.blogspot.com) 

Another gingerbread card. Stamped it while eating a donut and drinking a big mug of steaming coffee. Almost as good as enjoying a gingerbread cookie and cinnamon spiced tea. Almost. BTW- the cute little gingerguy is a free digi from http://www.whimsiedoodles.com/christmas.html. I printed the digi cookie on Kraft cardstock, cut him out, then added some "browning" on his edged with sponged ink and Tombow marker. A little white chalk "flour" added a bit more depth and realism. (Because we all know that cookies can and do drink hot chocolate!) Liquid Applique makes beautiful frosting squiggles (white applique) and a little nose (red applique.) I printed the hot chocolate mug on white cardstock. Cut that out, used my Tombow markers to color and shade it, and a white gel pen to add the highlight on the candy cane. Placed the mug on top of the cookie with mounting squares to pop it out a bit. The final touch was that I'd printed off extra "hands" that hold the mug from the Kraft brown paper. Cut and shaded one, then mounted it on top of the mug. Perfecto!

Entered into: 
Cas-usal Fridays- Christmas in July                                   
        (cas-ualfridays.blogspot.com)
Deep Ocean Challenge- Christmas in July                    
     (deepoceanchallengeblog.blogspot.com.au)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge                                        
     (craftyhazelnutschristmaschallenge.blogspot.co.uk)
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge2- Extra for July  
     (craftyhazelnutschristmaschallenge2.blogspot.co.uk)



10 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea to make card packs to give as gifts. You've really cracked the CAS style with your second card, lots of loevely empty white space. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful array of cards ! You've been busy ! Your take on our challenge is so cute with this adorable frightened cat ! A great CAS card ! Thanks for sharing and for playing along at Less is More !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too prefer cute for halloween and your cat sure is ;-) I love everything kitty ;-) Thank you for playing with us at AAA cards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cards! You've been so productive! I love your Halloween coloured card base for our challenge - using a pumpkin as a balloon works so well and is such a cool idea! Nice one! Thanks so much for joining us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely group of cards. Thanks for joining us at Crafty HazelNut's Christmas Extra challenge
    Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous card! Love the beautiful leaves and the distress effect. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. another fabulous set of cards Kathy! all of them are gorgeous and I love that you make sets to give away as gifts! I need to do that! great idea!! :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your gingerbread man! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun halloween card. Nice added glossy accents. Thank you for sharing with us at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great selection of creative projects. Loving your super CAS card for our challenge. The Halloween balloon is fab with the cute cat, and we love all that lovely white space.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your comments. They bring joy to my day!